You may have a decent audio system, but if you’re a music lover like I am, you will agree that the sound you get from your car’s OEM audio system is not as detailed as you’d like. But if you do a bit of inspection, you may find that the problem is from your RCA cable. If that’s the case, you’re in luck! By simply swapping your cable for the best RCA cables for car audio, you will notice a distinct improvement in the clarity and quality of your vehicle’s speakers.
Many people notice when their car’s stereo audio quality degrades over time. But unless you have a faulty car stereo system, you don’t need to take your vehicle to a third party to fit in new speakers and charge you; buying the best car audio RCA cables could be all you need. These cables are affordable components of a car’s audio system that affect the quality of the speakers and make their output clearer. But before placing an order, look out for the following characteristics:
- Flexibility. Flexible cables are usually more durable because of their whippy nature, which means that they can curve over and around objects in your car. By being flexible, your car’s RCA cables will need less space to work and resist higher levels of physical strain.
- Coating material. When choosing RCA car audio cables, look at their tips. Gold-coated tips are more resistant to corrosion than silver-coated ones. Silver tips are better conductors.
- Cable shielding. Braided or frosted shields on premium RCA cables protect the wires and keep audio signals within the cords. This feature ensures that the speakers receive the maximum signals, and you don’t notice sound loss while playing music in your car.
- Wrapped conductors. Though you may not see this feature unless you cut your RCA cable open, durable cables often have slender wires wrapping around each other. The manufacturers use this method to reduce interference, increase the conductors’ surface area, and ensure they capture more signals. These kinds of RCA cables are also more resistant to breaking.
- Strain relief systems. As your car moves, the engine vibrations, speed changes, and activities within the cabin affect electrical connections like its audio system’s output. So when buying RCA cables, look out for products with extra coating or other ways to reduce strain on the conductors. They resist breakage better.
So now that you know what to look out for, what are the best RCA cables for car audio? Given the marketing gimmicks behind the numerous RCA cables available today, you will need help determining the most suitable one for your car and budget. That is why I’ve selected the cables below to give you an honest assessment of the most reliable products on the market
Reviews of Car Audio RCA Cables
You can easily connect your smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, and other devices to a stereo receiver with the AmazonBasics PBH-19822 2-male cable. These RCA wires for car audio have two male connectors; the 3.5mm AmazonBasics male connectors fit devices with a right and left audio input. They are between 4 and 25 feet long and work well with portable audio speakers equipped with auxiliary jacks for headphones.
The AmazonBasics PBH-19822 features high-quality corrosive-resistant metal connectors. So you can feel safe using the cables for a while or taking your car to the car wash with them. The soft PVC exterior of the cable is flexible, which is handy if you’re driving a compact car. The cable’s build materials let you experience seamlessly clear stereo sound with consistency and reduced chances of signal loss.
I believe the AmazonBasics PBH-19822 is one of the best car audio RCA cables because it is easy to use. Its beveled step-down design tightens its connection to your car, and I’ve had no instances of the cables pulling away mid-drive. However, I find that the sound output from these cables isn’t premium, as I sometimes hear disturbances that affect the groove of the music I’m listening to.
- This product produces high-volume sounds at a competitive price.
- It works for high and low-frequency signals, ideal for car stereo units with subwoofers.
- It is easy to plug in and out without worrying about scraping the coating because the connectors have gold-plated connectors and excellent fittings.
- The product doesn’t last very long because the manufacturers sacrificed strength for flexibility.
- You’ll often hear a rustling sound while playing music, which becomes annoying after a while.
- It does not work well with all devices and sometimes falters when connected to a PC.
Products like the Monoprice 105346 contribute to our reliance on RCA cables, even though other options are available. Unlike standard 40-ohm cables, these two-channel high-quality car audio RCA cables are made of RG-59 75-ohm coaxial wire, putting them at the top of the pecking order in terms of sound reproduction.
This high-quality RCA connector has male and female connectors, a gauge of 22.0, and an optional connector type. It uses a 22 AWG conductor that is covered to prevent RFI or EMI interference from getting into your audio system. The conductors of the Monoprice 105346’s connectors are gold-plated, ideal if you often have liquids in your car. Driving around damp areas with the cables plugged in is safe, and the color-coded rubber rings have always kept the connector pins from slipping off in bumpy rides.
With the Monoprice car audio RCA cables, you don’t need to worry about their value over time. The lifetime Monoprice warranty instills confidence when purchasing the product, except it develops faults from misuse. And being between 1.5 and 75 feet long, it will serve any kind of vehicle or use case.
The downside of this product is that if the receiving ports you are plugging into have little space between them, the ends of the cable push against each other. However, if your RCA port has enough spacing, then you have little to worry about.
- Considering the quality of the Monoprice 105346, it is relatively cheap.
- The cables reproduce sounds excellently, and if you have powerful subwoofers, you’ll enjoy the bass sustenance.
- The thick build materials of the connector ensure it is durable.
- The connectors are rather too thick; thus, unplugging them is a bit difficult.
- They do not fit in perfectly into ports, so you’ll have to fiddle a bit to get that tight grip.
- The cables take up a bit of storage space, so you’ll need a car with more cabin space to use it comfortably.
UGREEN produces high-quality RCA cables for car audio systems. They also work well with stationary sound systems, like televisions, studio speakers, MP3, iPad, etc. It is a 2RCA to 3.5mm cable, meaning you can connect your mobile phone to a sound system. The cable is also compatible with devices with a 3.5mm jack like iPhones, iPads, MP3 players, amplifiers, etc.
I’ve frequently plugged the pin into my mobile device’s headphone’s 3.5mm jack and listened to music while driving. So if you’re going to be cycling through your Spotify playlist from your phone or laptop while on a trip, UGREEN’s RCA cables for car audio players will suffice. Besides, you can get cord lengths as long as 15 feet if necessary, though I believe that the 3-foot model will suffice.
The copper and gold-plated connectors conduct and transmit signals with little loss, ensuring you listen to true stereo sounds. If you’re playing a video where sounds come from one direction and fade into another, you’ll notice the cord’s stereo output, which almost mimics surround sound systems. With the 3.5 RCA connector, electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI) will be a thing of the past.
The UGREEN 10584’s stereo connector is one of the best car audio RCA cables because it handles stereo sounds like a premium product. However, after some weeks of use, the male end starts to separate from the housing, which is not a good sign.
- Unlike some other RCA cables, the UGREEN cable is soft and flexible; you can easily plug and unplug even in tight spaces.
- It reproduces a wide range of sounds well, from contemporary music to movies and podcasts.
- It has the proper girth to grip the female RCA input perfectly.
- Now and then, it produces a buzzing sound that is not pleasant.
- The plastic can is a bit finicky, pointing to durability issues.
- The audio plug slips out of headphone jacks easily, especially during movement or bumpy rides.
Hip-hop and rock enthusiasts consider the AmazonBasics PBH-20216 one of the best RCA cables that car audio systems can use. The product has a couple of length options, ranging from 4 feet to 15 feet, so no matter where you want to use it, rest assured it’ll be long enough.
The RCA cables have color-coding right before their connector pins so that you don’t have to waste time guessing which connector fits into which port when trying to listen to music. I enjoyed the product’s twin RCA outputs and inputs, which transmit high-pitched sounds without muddling up the bass. These 4-channel RCA cables for car audio setups are also compatible with home entertainment and HIFI systems.
The end of the cable and the port of your car’s audio system grips perfectly. Being able to plug and unplug the cable seamlessly is a big step up from the fitting issues with many RCA cables.
- The AmazonBasics cables are flexible.
- The bass reproduction is similar to what you’d get from premium RCA cables, so expect thumpy sounds when listening to music with low-frequency parts.
- The cables are thick, so expect them to last.
- The rubber ends of the cables are bulky and may not fit into some car amplifiers.
- There are only 6 inches of length between the twin connector pins and the point where the cords meet, meaning you will struggle to use it in components that are far apart.
- It produces distortion on high-frequency sounds, especially if you’re listening to songs from a choir or opera.
The JSAUX cable is one of the best RCA for car audio players on the market. It weighs 2.08 ounces and uses a composite cable type. Apart from cars, the JSAUX cable is compatible with smartphones, laptops, amplifiers, televisions, and other devices with a standard 3.5mm aux jack. It uses a male-to-male connection that transmits stereo sounds and is great for listening to online radios, music, and podcasts.
This RCA cable is 4 feet (1.2M) long and has a white and red colored connector for easy left and right connections. However, note that it doesn’t transmit video signals. The oxygen copper wire core also protects the audio signals from interference, meaning you won’t have to endure buzzing noises while playing audio in your car.
My favorite feature of these RCA cables is their outer shield. It uses a tweed design that prevents stretching, so even when you tug on the cable when trying to disconnect, you won’t break the wires within. For this reason, the JSAUX cables are the best shielded RCA cables for car audio systems.
- The cables are convenient to use because of their tiny housing, meaning you can connect them to your phone even with the phone’s case on.
- The audio output doesn’t produce a tiny, raspy sound while playing high-frequency sounds.
- It has an easy-grip for plugging and unplugging.
- The fitting is quite selective and may not fit perfectly for all audio systems.
- The neck of the cable deteriorates quite easily.
- Starts to deteriorate at the base of the cable after a while.
Do RCA Cables Make a Difference In Car Audio?
Getting good RCA cables for car audio players will make a difference in the sound feedback. However, the improvement may not be obvious if you have bad speakers. These cables aren’t magic wands that make your car stereo sound like a live concert. They need quality speakers and input devices to take your listening experience to the next level.
A good RCA cable will eliminate static noises to the trained ear of an audiophile and even accentuate specific audio profiles. These cables come with better shielding and isolation techniques to prevent signal loss and ensure you listen to uninterrupted music for hours.
To ensure you feel the groove that comes with RCA cables for your car audio, make sure you go for those with reinforced outer coatings, narrow rubber ends, and ample lengths. They may cost a bit extra, but put in a few extra bucks and buy the best car RCA cables.
Generally, some cables are better than others and thus, have superior sound reproduction. Other times, the superiority will be evident in its build quality and shielding material. But rest assured that reliable RCA cables improve your overall experience with your car audio. So, if you want to enjoy clear sounds from your speakers without struggling with flimsy connections while driving, use any of the recommended RCA cables.
What are RCA Cables Used For In Car Audio?
There are many RCA cables for car audio systems, but their core function is to transmit line-level signals from the audio receiver to the subwoofer or speakers. This connection ensures that you can enjoy music from your phone or an external device in your car using its speakers. Though the sounds from RCA cable connections aren’t as crisp as those from HDMI connections, they are sufficient for use in vehicle cabins. When connected to amplifiers, you will notice an increase in the volume of whatever you are listening to, making the listening experience more enjoyable, especially when you have many passengers in the car.
Hi everyone! I’m Thomas Moody, also known as Guitarzan.